Monday, October 4, 2010

Recap of week 9/27 - 10/1

     So, I feel the need to recap what I learned through my mentorship this past week in order to remember it all as well as to keep a record of everything.

     On Monday, the 27th, I learned how to check-in a patient. It isn't a very difficult process, it just takes some getting used to. First, you must know what the patient is there for. When you call them back, you must take and record the patients weight and temperature. If there for a scheduled physical evaluation and are over the age of three, you also take and record their blood pressure. When checking in a patient, you must be sure to get a contact number along with the name and relation of whomever brought them in. It is also mandatory to find out if the child has any known allergies. If the patient is well, you simply take them back to an open room; however, if the patient is sick, you must also learn what is ailing them before taking them back to their room.
     On Wednesday, the 29th, I learned about immunization doses. Because flu season is just beginning, I have been able to witness the giving of Flu shots on several occasions. The Flu shot dosage is a little different from normal immunizations because it is a vaccine. Children ages 3 years and younger recieve a dose of 0.25 mL, while children ages 4 and over recieve a dose of 0.5 mL. If it is the first year the patient is being given the Flu Vaccine, they must be given two doses over a time period of one month for all ages. For immunizations other than vaccines, the normal dosage is 0.5 mL for children of all ages unless otherwise prescribed.
     On Thursday, the 30th, I put into practice the knowledge I recieved in the beginning of the week by checking in a couple patients on my own. I am not able to actually fill or give shots, but I make sure to pay close attention when the nurse is doing so. Thursdays are normally slow days at the office I mentor in; nonetheless, I did learn the difference in the Flu Mist vs. the Flu vaccine. The Flu Mist is a mist that is sprayed up the nose. One dose is sprayed up each nasal cavity. The mist and vaccine are quite similar; however, the main difference is that the mist has the live virus in it whereas the vaccine contains a dead virus. Most people choose to have the vaccine because the live virus in the mist could cause a serious case of influenza to set in if the patient has any type of respiratory problems, including asthma.

     I am very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to mentor under these professionals and I cannot wait to learn more in this week of my mentorship!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have been given a lot of responsibility at your mentorship.I am impressed that they are letting you check in patients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took a few weeks of following and watching before they actually let me try, but I love being able to apply everything I've learned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think you want to stick with a career in nursing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I considered it, but I think I would much rather be a pediatrician. I looked into it some, and as of now I'm planning on majoring in something along the lines of biochemistry.

    ReplyDelete